Socialserve.com provides a fully-staffed, toll-free English/Spanish call center that helps landlords list and helps tenants search for properties while monitoring the availability and accuracy of listings
Staff in the Charlotte, NC, offices of Socialserve.com
Non-Profit Industries is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization dedicated to empowering individuals to transition to success through professional careers. We believe that helping others generates positive change for all.
A Brief History
Non-Profit Industries (NPI) was founded in 1999. The Socialworks program of NPI runs a national call center that provides jobs to hard-to-employ people who then help others access affordable housing and supportive services in their communities. NPI is best known by its affordable housing program, Socialserve.com.
A Rare Blend
NPI is unique as a successful business as well as a not-for-profit. Our motto "non-profit doesn't mean non-business" has positioned NPI as self-sustaining at our current level. Currently NPI's annual funding is a fee for service through contracts with Emphasys Computer Solutions and regional governments and coalitions.
Looking Toward the Future
Our successful business model sustains NPI. Although not our focus in the past, our future growth includes pursuit of grant funding and board development. We intend to pursue growth through our business model by attracting more contracts for our call center and we are looking to grow our non-profit identity by expanding our community presence, volunteer participation, Board of Directors and grant funding.
Commitment to Second Chances - the Socialworks program
- NPI is committed to providing full-time employment to people who never dared to imagine having professional careers. Our goal is to have 25% of employees from hard-to-employ populations.
- More than 30% of our 49 employees have experienced incarceration, addiction and/or housing crisis.
- Our internal programs generate positive change and professional growth for our employees.
- Our employees give back to the community by helping others find affordable housing and supportive services.
Transitioning to Success through Ongoing Training Programs
Lasting success requires ongoing support in the workplace. We are committed to providing our employees with the tools they need to continue to improve their lives.
- Computer, phone and communication skills
- The ins and outs of professional conduct
- Professional development
- Life-skills counseling
- Budget design
- Domestic violence prevention
Doing Well by Doing Good - the Socialserve.com Call Center Supports
- An online housing locator
- Disaster relocation services
- Special needs housing location (senior, disability and HUD housing vouchers)
- HUD Certified foreclosure prevention counseling - help for families in Hardest Hit states
- Referrals to supportive housing and other services
Funding for Continued Growth
As a successful 501(c)(3) charitable organization, NPI will pursue grants and board development to increase internal programs for:
- Financial counseling and budgeting
- Tailored professional development
- Domestic violence prevention
- Management, housing counselor and special certification training
- Employee wellness
- Revitalization of our 1960's building
- General operations